TOP 10 DOS AND DON’TS BEFORE AND AFTER HAIR TRANSPLANT
Are you planning for hair transplant because of hair loss, here are some top 10 do’s and don’ts before and after undergoing hair transplant.
Dos and Don’ts Before Hair Transplant
- Wash your hair before the surgery.
- Wear comfortable clothes that will not require you to pull them over your head.
- Eat a light breakfast before the procedure.
- If you have a fever or shortness of breath, tell your surgeon before the surgery.
- Stay away from any exercises from a week before the surgery.
- If you’re diabetic please follow doctor instructions before hair transplant.
- Sleep early at night before hair transplant so that your body gets rest.
- Go along with a relative or a friend.
- Take pre-existing medication prescribed by your doctor before hair transplant.
- Discuss the entire procedure with your doctor before hair transplant.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
- Don’t dye your hair prior to surgery.
- Don’t take any supplements without your doctor knowing.
- Don’t drink energy drinks at least 3 days before the operation.
- Don’t smoke at all at least 3 days before the surgery.
- Don’t take any medications before the surgery unless your doctor says it is okay.
- Don’t eat greasy and fatty foods at least 10 days before the operation.
- Don’t have a hair cut before a hair transplant.
- Stop taking anti inflammatory medications for a few days before hair transplant.
- Do not apply any hair gel or oil while coming for hair transplant.
Dos and Don’ts After Hair Transplant
- Do have someone drive you home after surgery.
- Do ask your dermatologist for antibiotics to take after hair transplant.
- Do be very gentle when washing your hair.
- Do remember all the instructions given by your surgeon for postoperative hair transplant
- Don’t take a bath for at least the first two days.
- Do keep your scalp dry especially on the first day to allow for the skin to heal.
- Do wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Do sleep with your head elevated for a few days after hair transplant.
- DO return to your surgeon’s clinic two days after the procedure to have the clinic remove
any bandages and for them to wash your hair.
- wear a hat or a scarf when going out in the sun.
- Do not expose the hair transplant site to harsh or excessive heat and direct sunlight.
- DO not use an electric shaver to shave your head, as it will irritate the wound and delay
- Avoid any strenuous work, including working out, until the wound has healed.
- Avoid swimming for a week after the surgery, as it could cause more swelling, bruised
hair follicles and other damage.
- Avoid covering the wound with a bandage, as it could inhibit the healing process.
- Do not sleep on your back for at least two nights. You should sleep on your side as your
head will be slightly elevated.
- DON’T touch or rub with the newly-grafted scalp.
- Avoid putting on tight clothes (like those with small zippers) because they cause the
grafts to rub against each other and result in hair loss.
- Avoid smoking for a few days after the hair transplant.
- Avoid drinking for a few days after the hair transplant.
In case you have any query regarding treatment or medication you can consult our expert
dermatologist at Vitals skin and hair klinic in bangalore.